Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Ingredient Mystery!

Back in the days when great-great-grandma baked a cake from scratch, it was easy to know what the ingredients were. She had them all in her cupboard. She likely would have made some of them herself: grown and milled the wheat, milked the cow, churned the butter, etc. Now that we buy most of the foods we eat each day from a store, and these foods have been made in large factories with ingredients coming from many other manufacturers, it's a different story altogether.

I really want to recommend the above chips to you. They are SO delicious. But they contain ingredients such as "tomato powder" which are a flavouring, and labelling laws do not require the company who made them to declare what's in those flavours, nor to display them on the package.

The helpful people at President's Choice are investigating for me. They have assured me there is no sugar hiding in those chips. I'm having a hard time believing them as they are so tasty. But I must take their word. We're going to find out soon if they contain any starches which create digestive issues for Celiacs, and I will update here as soon as I know. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment